Freight shipping is an industry that simplifies all your export and import needs. These companies are equipped to provide cargo transportation services to commercial companies, business owners and even individuals. In order to provide freight services, a freight shipping service company should have the license to transport different types of cargos and should be authorized by the Federal Maritime Commission Parallelly
It doesn’t matter how often you ship. If your package or item is bulky, oversized, or is affixed to a pallet, it qualifies as freight. You don’t have to be a high-volume shipper to take advantage of freight discounts as long as you meet certain weight requirements
– Packing Tips: It is important to properly pack your item for freight shipping to prevent damage. If your goods are going in one or more boxes, be sure the boxes are new before you ship boxes; corrugated cardboard loses some of its strength with each use. If you need to use a printed or previously used box, be sure to remove or obscure any labels and bar codes. A good freight shipping company will walk you through the steps for safely packing any item, in any situation.
– Know the Weight: Make sure to give the true weight for your shipment. The weight of the item should be exact and must include packing materials. The best option is to get it weighed after it is already prepared and ready for shipping – just be prepared for any changes to be reflected on your final bill. If you do not have the means to weigh your package at your home, there are certified weight scales available in your location.
– Understand Freight Paperwork: A freight company may want you to use their bill of lading (BOL) so that the carrier is aware of any quoted discounts you received. A few minutes to read over the paperwork could save you time and money in the long run.
– Method of Pickup: There are two ways shipment: Your shipping company can tell you location closest to your home or your shipment will delivered to your home. The second choice is more convenient, but there are additional fees or limited street access for residential delivery.
– Ready for Delivery: Make sure you have the appropriate identification when claiming your shipment at a cargo terminal or at point of delivery. The carrier may ask for your BOL paperwork and proof of identity. The carrier will not just leave your package at your front door or with another person. Make sure you are available at the time of delivery to avoid additional fees for storage and/or charges to re-deliver.